Kengla Family Notes

 

Lewis Kengla (1770? -1829) had a butcher stand in the Georgetown market as early as 1806, and by 1816 he was assessed by the city of Georgetown for a two-story frame house on west side of what is now Wisconsin Avenue, near W Place.

His sons, Lewis Kengla (1809-1869), and Henry Kengla (1812-1903), accumulated a large part of the land bought by banker Charles Carroll Glover, that is now Glover Park. They are buried in Holy Rood Cemetery. (Section/lot 19/182, 30/380)

 

 

Origins

In 1892, Dr. Louis A. Kengla (see below) specified that the family originated in Luxemburg: “Dr. Kengla is of German descent, his ancestors having settled in the United States about the beginning of the present century, coming from Luxemburg at that time.” (“The Bay of San Francisco,” Vol. 1, page 650, Lewis Publishing Co., 1892)

In the course of its americanization the German surname that the family remembers––Kuenler (i.e. Künler)––was subjected to an array of experimental spellings; variations discovered in the census, in deeds, and in tax assessments, include––but are not limited to––Kunglaw, Canley, Kenley, Kinley, Kenla, Kengly, Kengley, Kingley, and Kingla.

The family tradition is that two or three brothers came from Germany in the 18th century, and that one of them settled in Frederick, Maryland. The given names of the brothers remembered in the tradition are Louis and Henry; the name of the possible third brother has been forgotten. As Jacob and Joseph are names that later recur in the Kengla family, it is possible that these sightings are relevant:

 

Jacob Kengla, listed in: New World Immigrants: a Consolidation of Ship’s Passenger Lists and Associated Data from Periodical Literature, Michael Tepper, ed., Baltimore, Maryland, 2008, p.567.

Jacob Kenckel, arrived in Philadelphia from Rotterdam, October 13, 1766, on the ship Betsy and signs with an X (9041, Strassburger, Pennsylvania German Pioneers, 1:710)

Joseph Kingla of the County of Washington, sells––or offers as collateral––to Elizabeth Ballzor [Baltzer?]: household items, goods; also land in the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania and Georgia; and 23 slaves. (DC Liber K10 (1804) ff.321/328)

Frederick Kenckele, naturalized, Frederick, Maryland, September 13, 1764 (9916, Strassburger, Pennsylvania German Pioneers, 1:5; Wyand, Colonial Maryland Naturalizations, 1975)

Frederick Kinkloy, 1796 Frederick County voter

F. Kinkerley, 1810 census of Frederick County, Maryland, p.648

 

 

 

Lewis Kengla (1770? -1829)

Family tradition has it that the immigrant Louis Kengla settled in Frederick, Maryland. The Lewis Kengla who settled in Georgetown might have been that immigrant, or he might have been his son. (While the immigrant’s surname was subject to countless spellings, his given name was usually spelled Lewis in the 19thcentury. When he embarked for America it may have been Ludwig.)

Lewis Kengla was doing business in the Georgetown market as early as 1806 (according to an article written sixty years later). From 1806 through 1809 a man named Louis Kendly was a regular customer of Georgetown merchant William Thomas. (He bought a milk pot, stovepipe, wash kettle, iron kettle, “lanthorn”, and ladle; this was possibly the last time his given name was rendered as Louis).  (Georgetown Courier, August, 21, 1869; William Thomas Daybook, New York Public Library)

Lewis Kengla’s child, October 3, 1809; possible twin of Louis, born September 21, 1809. (William King Mortality Journal)

Appears as Kunglaw in the 1810 Census, Georgetown District.

1811 Georgetown tax assessments: Lot BH290 (Beatty and Hawkins’ Addition to Georgetown)

John Hoye to Lewis Kingla, BH271 for $400; then, deed of trust to David English: Lewis Kengla owes Union Bank $1300 he had borrowed in 1816 with BH271 as security. (DC Liber AN38 (1817) f. 340/250; AN38, 1817, ff. 342/250)

1814 Georgetown tax assessments: Lots BH271, BH288 on High Street, vacant.

1816, assessed by the city of Georgetown for a two-story frame house on west side of what is now Wisconsin Avenue, near W Place, on lot 271 of Beatty and Hawkins’ Addition to Georgetown. (Kengla later added lot BH270 to the property.)

Appears as Canley in the 1820 census: three sons, no daughters, no slaves.

 

In 1828, Lewis Kengla sold a slave, as well as furniture, household goods and livestock.  (DC Liber WB23 ff.257-258, October 9, 1828. With thanks to Jerry McCoy)

Bill of Sale, Lewis Kendly to James Miller, both of the County of Washington, for $300:

A negro girl named Heucrate [sp.?], aged about twenty years old

2 carts and geers

1 horse

1 beauro

3 tables

6 chairs

1 small desk

1 lot of crockerwair

1 lot of glass

1 lot of kitchen wair consisting of pots, oven kettles, pots, etc.

1 Bell Mettle Skellet

1 copper skellet

axes, howes

1 gun,

1 stove,

1 [looking?]glass

shovel and tongs

8 hogs

 

 

Lewis Kengley, January 11, 1829 (William King Mortality Journal)

Why he or his son was a plot owner in the Presbyterian Burial Ground of Georgetown (lot 125) is unclear.

The likeliest burial site for a Georgetown Catholic in 1829 would have been the Old College Ground, on the campus of Georgetown University; this cemetery was removed in 1953.

Lewis Kengla’s widow was Catherine, born Maryland, circa 1769. She appears in the 1830 census: Catherine Kinley, head of household, between 50 and 60 years old; one child 20-30, two children 10-15. In the 1850 census she is in the household of her son Henry, born Maryland, age 79.

 

 

 

Lewis Kengla (Jr.) (1809-1869) 

(Child of Lewis and Catherine Kengla)

Born September 21, 1809, District of Columbia

Lewis Kengley married Susan Poor, Holy Trinity Church, Georgetown,

March 29 or June 28, 1830

Lewis Kengla, from James Miller, for $125, land on the west side of the road leading from High or Commerce Street to Rockville. (DC Liber WB 36 f.387/281)

1840 Census: a slave woman, under 24 years?

1855 Washington County assessment: 12 acres, 9 slaves

1856, bought the Clagett house, Tuckerman Lane and Postoak Road, Montgomery County (sold by his widow in 1880)

1860 Census: farmer, worth $12,000 in land, $4000 in cash: sons Jacob (1832) and Lewis (1834) are butchers.

 

1862 Emancipation of slaves, claimed compensation for 6:

Dover, Ary  [Arianna] (35)

Dover, Lucinda  (20)

Dover, Ida [?]  (15)

Dover, A. Ignatious  [Alfred]  (8)

Dover, Clayghton  (4)

Dover, Henry  (1)

 

Corporation of Georgetown meeting: Petitions received from Francis Gross, Lewis Kengle, and others, praying that country people may not be interfered with if they desire to sell produce in the market. (Intelligencer, July 4, 1865)

Union Soap & Candle Works for sale: formerly owned by William S. Jones, on New Cut Road, just outside Georgetown limits. William S. Jones, Union Soap and Candle Works on the Upper Road, sold to Lewis Kengla, for $8100. (Georgetown Courier, May 16, August 22, 1868

Lewis Kengla died October 1, 1869, Funeral at Holy Trinity, High Mass. (Georgetown Courier, October 9, 1869)

A leading Catholic of Georgetown; why he or his father was a plot owner in the Presbyterian Burial Ground of Georgetown (lot 125) is unclear.

Lewis Kengla, Sept. 21, 1809 – Oct. 1, 1869, “of the Kenglas and Greens of Tenallytown road.”

Buried next to his widow, Susan Poor Kengla (1811-1888)

Section 19, Lot 182, Holy Rood Death Register, p.119)

 

Chancery Sale, Supreme Court of the District of Columbia: Susan Kengla et al, v. Henry Green et al, Part of Scott’s Ordinary, east of land sold to by West to Nevitt, northwest of Gen. Mason’s land; also land in Lucky Discovery, up to the Powder House.  (This is the large parcel later marked Kengla, in the vicinity of the Westchester Apartments; Georgetown Courier, June 8, 1872; DC Liber WB138, f.13)

Files Suit for partition.––Edward L. Kengla yesterday filed suit in the District Supreme Court for the partition of the estate of the late Lewis Kengla, valued at $50,000 or more. Charles R. Kengla and twenty-four other heirs are named as defendants. It is stated in the petition that Lewis Kengla died intestate in this city on November 15, 1865, and that his late wife held the property until her death in 1888. The estate consists largely of unimproved land just west of Wisconsin avenue northwest, amounting to about thirteen acres. [Case decided 1911; refers to land near Massachusetts and Wisconsin Avenues.]  (Washington Herald, January 16, 1909)


 

 

Henry Kengla (1812-1903)

(Child of Lewis and Catherine Kengla)

 

1840, BH268 from W. Smith from estate of Clement Smith. (DC Liber WB86 f.62)

1841, BH270 from Richard Smith, two parts of Alliance

1842, BH 292, 293 from Charles King

1847, lot 14 on Prospect Street from Robert Barnard and Edward Wright (DC Liber 136 f.357/294)

1850 census: butcher, unmarried, with his mother Catherine, born Maryland, age 79.

1853 directory, High Street west side

Georgetown Ordinances 1858-1867: Commissioner for improving High Street, tax landowners, and use the municipal street roller.

 

1862 Emancipation of slaves, claimed compensation for 9:

Warring, Peter (47)

Brooks, Nathan (38), a butcher

Brisco, Rebecca  (35)

Brisco, Mary  (16)

Brisco, Henry  (14)

Brisco, Joseph  (12)

Brisco, Washington  (10)

Brisco, Martha  (7)

Brisco, Fanny  (5)

 

Nathan Brooks, committed August 3, 1858 as a runaway slave by John W. Gross. Released September 14, to Charles Kenley. (Hynson, Jerry M., District Of Columbia Runaway And Fugitive Slave Cases 1848-1863, Willow Bend Books, 1999)

 

Fined $5.44 by Justice Buckey for obstructing the market master while removing planks which served as a passage-way from High street to the butchers’ stalls in the warehouse. (Intelligencer, January 5, 1865; see The Georgetown Market War)

 

 

Henry Kengla made at least two claims for compensation for the use of his land by the Signal Camp of Instruction:

 

Henry Kengla

Referred by War Department

War Department Book 6, W1734K75

Received November 10, 1865

For the use and occupation of 17 town lots, Georgetown, D.C., by the U.S. Signal [Camp] as a drill ground and for four years at $50 per acre––$3400

For 80 panels fence destroyed––$80

For use of spring 4 years––$100

[Total]$3,580

 

 

January 26, [1874]

To the Hon. The Secretary of War, Washington, D.C.

Sir:

I have the honor to submit herewith the papers in a claim of Henry Kengla of Georgetown, D.C., for rent and [  ], stated at $19,110, and invite attention to the report of Major [ ] Myer’s report [  ] Washington D.C. containing the facts.

It is proposed to recommend to the Third auditor the settlement of the claim for Quarter Masters, under Act of July 4th as follow:

23,060 ft. old lumber @ $.15 per––345.90

2,000 ft. new lumber @ $.30 per ft.––60.00

21 cords of wood @ $3 per cord––63.00

6 tons of hay @ $20 per ton––120.00

7 perches of stone @ $15 per perch––105.00

Total––$1,593.90

The facts in regard to the claims for rent are set forth by a report of Major Myer, I believe that it is proved that 59 acres were occupied as [herein?] stated; but think that six per cent per annum on the assessed value is as much as the Quarter Masters department ought to pay for rent. I consider that much of the rent claimed in these cases is rather in the nature of damages than use.

In this case, claimant asks $19,110.00. The officer investigating the case recommended in all $2,702.00 (to wit: rent $1109.00 + $1593.00 QMasters); but on reference to the ruling in the “Belt” case, increased his recommendation to $3,540 rent; which addition to what is believed to be equitable under the law of July 4, 1864 ($1,593.00) would make a total allowance of $5,133.90.

Very respectfully, Your Obedient Servant, Quartermaster General

(Claimants attorneys notified, February 4, 1874)

 

 

As part of the settlement of this claim Henry Kengla “inherited” one or more barracks left over from the Signal Camp of Instruction, which he rented out.

“House for rent within a mile of the terminus of the street railroad. Frame house with twenty rooms, so built as to house two or even three families. A never failing spring is in the neighborhood.” (Georgetown Courier, March 31, 1866)

“An old building situated on the Tennallytown road, beyond Tunlaw farm, erected during the war, and used for a while a signal corps barracks, was burned last night shortly after 12 o’clock. It was occupied by Andrew Frizzell, and owned by Henry Kengla. Loss, $200. No insurance.”  (“City Talk and Chatter”, Washington Post, February 26, 1880)

 

 

1866, Lot 2 of Alliance––lot 1 being his already––from Robert and Sarah Britt for $2000, 33 and 1/2 acres, due west of BH 294-6. “Sale of a farm near Georgetown, and of a tavern on Rockville turnpike; farm––33 acres, belonging to James Britt, deceased, adjoins the farms of Lewis Kengla and Henry Kengla. Hugh Caperton, Fred. W. Jones, trustees. Thos. Dowling, agent.” (National Intelligencer, May 6, 1865; DC Liber RMH17 (1866) f.114)

“Beef! Beef! Beef!” (Georgetown Courier, January 26, 1867)

1871, owned BH267, BH292-9, had his house on BH296

1880 census, ED 9, p.69, lives on Back Street, with a servant, Charlotte Hill, born Virginia, 1835.

 

 

Joseph T. Kengla and Family, circa 1881 (detail).  Never married, in his old age Henry Kengla––center, with a curious white cloth under his hat––walked across the field from his house on Back Street to take meals with his nephew, Joseph T. Kengla. (Photograph courtesy of a descendant.)

 

1890 directory: 3042 N St

1896, his house on Tunlaw Road is in the path of 37th Street extension

1897 directory, Tunlaw Road

 

Buried Holy Rood Cemetery:  Henry Kengla, Sept. 12, 1812 – Jan. 13, 1903

Henry Kengla died at 91, lived alone on the farm, worth a quarter million dollars. Once the owner of River View, a resort on the Potomac, with Capt. Randall. Nearly drowned in the sinking of excursion steamer “Crystal Wave”. Owned real estate in the West End. (Washington Times, January 13 and 15, 1903)

 

When Henry Kengla died in 1903, his executor was Ephraim S. Randall.

1904 Henry Kengla’s will was contested Supreme Court of the District of Columbia, (11245): Ephraim Randall and Elizabeth Homiller––wife of Jacob H. Homiller––accused by Kengla heirs of undue influence on the decedent. (Washington Law Reporter, v.32)

1906, 105 acres for sale, larger than any estate in the vicinity.

 

 

 A 1906 map of the estate of Henry Kengla, which ran from the numbered lots on Back Street (Tunlaw Road) to Ridge (Foxhall) Road. “Arizona Avenue” is the right-of-way planned––and later abandoned––in what is now Glover-Archbold Park.

 

1907: “Georgetown Land, $701.50 An Acre”. Charles Carroll Glover buys the estate of the late Henry Kengla, at public auction, for $60,000. “Mr. Glover, it is understood, made the purchase on speculation.”  (Washington Times, May 26, 1907, Real Estate, p.7)

1909: “Observatory Heights, on the old Kengla estate, to be developed by Ephraim Macht.” (Washington Herald, July 11, 1909)

 

“Kengla Homestead Sold.–– International Realty and Development Company Had Busy Week.––The International Realty and Development Company reports many sales during the past week in their subdivision opposite the United States naval observatory. The company is arranging for the building of a number of homes this fall and the extensive improvement of the streets running through the property.

James S. English has purchased the Kengla homestead on this tract, with two lots fronting 75 feet on Tunlaw road, and expects to commence this week to remodel the building. After extensive improvements are completed Mr. English will make this his home.”  (Washington Post, September 26, 1909, p.RC3)

 

 

Jacob Kengla (1815-1848)

(Child of Lewis and Catherine Kengla)

1840 Census: under 30; woman, age 60-70 (mother?); 5 males; 2 free colored persons; 2 slaves, 1 male, 1 female

Married Matilda Hall, December 20, 1842. (Intelligencer, Dec. 22, 1842)

Jacob Kengla died, age 33, February 29, 1848. (National Intelligencer, March 1, 1848)

Matilda Hall, born Virginia circa 1809, was widow and administrator of estate of Richard Hall, and had 3 children: William, Catherine, and Richard (Wesley Pippenger, District of Columbia Probate Records, 1801-1852, p.321)

1853 directory: Matilda Kengla, ran a boarding house on High between Canal and Water, with her sons Richard and William Hall as partners.

“White House Hotel”, Cherry and High Street, 1858 directory

Richard Hall died September 13, 1858, age 26. (Holy Rood 15/124)

His tombstone––ERECTED BY HIS AFFECTIONATE MOTHER––bought by Mrs. Kengla of Grace Street, September 13, 1858

Matilda Kengla, 1876, 52 Market Street, Georgetown

Matilda Kengla, in DC 60 years, lived at 1518 31st Street

 

Died March 3, 1887, 80 years old.

 

 

 

 

Jacob H. Kengla (1832-1898)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

 

Cattle dealer

Married Parthenia Gregg Stump (born Virginia, 1838) on June 19, 1860.  (Virginia Parsons MacCabe, Parsons’ Family History and Record, Charles W. Nickey, Decatur, Illinois, 1913, p.256. Courtesy of Paul Inashima)

Jacob Henry Kengla had one daughter, Mary Blanche, who married Walter Cramer Diller.

Offers for rent large part of a brick house on Georgetown Heights [probably at about Massachusetts and Wisconsin Avenues]. (Georgetown Courier, March 24, 1866)

Hunts deer in mountains of Berkely and Jefferson Counties, Virginia, gives gift of venison to editor of the Georgetown Courier(Georgetown Courier, December 1, 1866)

Committee to benefit projected Catholic Church in Tenallytown. (Georgetown Courier, July 6, 1867)

At meeting of Levy Court, protests construction of a road on the Heights (possibly Tunlaw Road behind Russian Embassy). (Georgetown Courier, September 7, 1867)

Jacob H. Kengla petitions to extend market limits to include Butcher’s Market: denied. (Georgetown Courier, June 12, 1869; see The Georgetown Market War)

1870 census “Drovier and Cattle Dealer”

1874, School Board, Washington County

1876, bought from WDC Murdock, pieces of Friendship and St. Phillip and Jacob.

1880, J.H. Kengla and Co., cattle broker.

Executor of Lazarus Wetzel, 1897

Died 1898.

 

Kengla mansion razed, to make way for Massachusetts Avenue. (Washington Times, July 22, 1911)

 

 

 

Mary F. Kengla (1834-1894)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Mary F. Kengla, suicide, mentally ill, member of well-known Georgetown family, while living at 1416 33rd Street, home of brother-in-law Edward Lyddane. (Star, March 7, 1894)

 

 

 

Lewis C. Kengla (1834-1909)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Married Emma Cassell

Acquired the Dashiell farm: John McCobb to Thomas Grayson Dashiell [Dashield]: McCobb, late guardian of Thomas Grayson Dashiell, in 1846 got two notes of indenture, from Michael and Ellen Stone, and from John Kurtz. John McCobb seized in fee of that part of Alliance starting near The Cedars to Henry Kengla’s land, along boundary of Georgetown, and Thomas Grayson Dashiell now at age of majority gets title. Thomas Grayson Dashiell, of Richmond, and Wilhelmina, his wife, then sell to Jacob and Lewis Kengla for $4080. Jacob makes over his part to Lewis C. Kengla. (DC Liber JAS198 (1860) 446-9/395-6)

 

Lewis C. Kengla made at least one claim for compensation for the use of his land by the Signal Camp of Instruction:

 

 

Lewis C. Kengla, Georgetown Heights

Referred by Adjutant General

War Department Book 6, A432K31

Received September 9, 1865

 

For exclusive use of Spring house and spring by the Signal Station for four years at $100 per year––$400

For repair of front line fence destroyed––$100

For 10 months use of lot for Hospital––$100

For removal of fence for hospital, and to replace––$50

[Total]$650

 

[Claimant] states that, if the Government will give him the hospital that now occupies his ground, he will sign a release for all claims for rent and damages.

Report to the Secretary of War, recommending the petition be granted October 9, 1865.

 

 

1871, buyer of Holy Rood Cemetery plot, section 30, lot 380

Chancery Sale, Supreme Court of the District of Columbia: Susan Kengla et al, v. Henry Green et al, Part of Scott’s Ordinary, east of land sold to by West to Nevitt, northwest of Gen. Mason’s land; also land in Lucky Discovery, up to the Powder House. (Georgetown Courier, June 8, 1872; DC Liber WB138, f.13)

(This is La Colline, the large parcel later marked Kengla, in the vicinity of the Westchester Apartments: Hopkins 1887, plate 43)

 

“a child of Lewis Kengla” (Mary Joseph Kengla, 3/24/1873-9/29/1873), daughter of Louis C. and Emma Cassell Kengla, buried by Joseph Birch, September 29, 1873.

 

Fire In Georgetown.––The slaughterhouse of Mr. [Louis?] Kengla, just west of the powerhouse of the Georgetown and Tenleytown Railroad on Thirty-second Street extended, was destroyed by fire about 8 o’clock this morning. (Evening Times, October 8, 1902)

 

1903 Baist, end of Powderhouse Road

Died 1909.

 

 

 

Catherine Ann Kengla (1838? -1868)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Married circa 1863, David Greene (1836-1876), beef butcher, possibly of Baltimore

She died 12 days after giving birth to a Charles Greene, who died a few weeks later:

 

At her residence on the Heights, Catherine Ann, wife of David N. Green, aged 30 years. Funeral at Trinity Church. Baltimore papers please copy. (Georgetown Courier, September 26, 1868)

 

Holy Rood Cemetery:

Catherine Ann Green, Beloved Wife of David Green, who departed this life September 25th 1868, aged 30 years.

Charles, Infant son of David and Catherine Ann Green

Born Sept. 13,1868, Died Dec. 4 1868

 

1870 census, David Green has a servant, Lewis Snider: Louis Schneider, later at that same property.

David Green, 1871: BH 265, with a house, BH264, vacant

 

 

 

Joseph Theodore Kengla (1840-1927)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

 

Dealer in beef, lamb, veal and mutton, with a stand in Centre Market.

Married 1870 to Clara Ann Clagett (1849-1913) of Montgomery County

A butcher with property in Montgomery County, with sheep.

 

The house was built on High Street about 1870, just above Henry Weaver, just below William F. Kengla, opposite and a little north of Observatory Lane, on a lot that fronted 100’ on Wisconsin Avenue, and ran to Tunlaw Road. It was numbered 2536, 2520, 2336, 2324, and 2120 at various times. (Square 1300, lot 268)

 

 

Joseph T. Kengla and Family, circa 1881

 

Joseph T. Kengla and Family, circa 1881 (detail): left to right, Kengla and his wife, Clara Clagett Kengla; Teresa and Laura Clagett. The child with back turned is Ella Clagget Kengla (Holland). The man in the center with a curious white cloth under his hat, is Henry Kengla. By baby carriage, Thomas Louis Kengla; the infant in the carriage is Claire Elizabeth Kengla (Mohun). Behind the carriage, Alice Gertrude Clagett, twin sister of Clara Clagett Kengla. By fence, Thomas Rezin Clagett.  (Photograph courtesy of a descendant.)

 

 

The following probably refers to a rental property:  “An unoccupied house on Tunlaw road, belonging to Mr. Joseph Kengla, was destroyed by fire at an early hour yesterday morning. The fire was supposed to be incendiary. The damage was $1,000.”  (National Republican, October 8, 1884)

In 1924 when Glover Park was born, Joseph T. Kengla was listed at 2536 Wisconsin, which would correspond to 2336 today. By that time the Kenglas had been here more than a century.

Property sold to Globe Amusement Company, 1939; house torn down to make way for the Calvert Theater, 2318-26 Wisconsin; today it is the location of the Sheffield Apartments.

 

 

 

Margaret E. Kengla (1842-1930)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Married Edmund Lyddane, first couple married at St. Ann’s Church, Tenleytown

 

 

 

William F. Kengla (1839-1912)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Butcher, married Helen R. Yeabower, Holy Trinity Church. (Georgetown Courier, November 3 or 26, 1867)

Operated a slaughterhouse on ”the heights”. (Georgetown Courier, August 15, 1874)

1878, lived above Joseph Kengla, below Jacob Homiller

Saint John the Evangelist Cemetery, Forest Glen, Montgomery County, Maryland

 

 

 

Teresa C. Kengla ( -1900)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Honors conferred at Academy of the Visitation, include Teresa Kengla. (National Intelligencer, July 3, 1863)

Married Eugene Lyddane

Buried Holy Rood Cemetery

 

 

 

George M. Kengla (1848-1893)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Married Adelaide (Addie) Haze

In 1881 Weaver, Kengla and Company––George Kengla, Joseph Weaver, and John Kelley––made laundry soap out of beef tallow at 3244 Water Street, Georgetown, later 3242-3252 K Street.

Had livestock in the 1879 National Fair. (Star? Sunday, March 31, 1946, C-8)

Holy Rood Cemetery: George M. Kengla, 1848-October 26, 1893

Addie M. Kengla, 1861-July 17, 1893

 

 

 

Charles Robert Kengla (1849-1931)

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Married Mary Joseph Lyddane of Montgomery County, at the bride’s parent’s house near Rockville, February 2, 1875.

(Georgetown Courier, February 6, 1875)

 

Nathan Brooks committed August 3, 1858 as a runaway slave by John W. Gross; released September 14, to Charles Kenley.

(Hynson, Jerry M., District Of Columbia Runaway And Fugitive Slave Cases 1848-1863, Willow Bend Books, 1999)

 

Buried Holy Rood

 

 

 

Edward Lorenzo Kengla (1853?- )

(Grandchild of Lewis and Catherine Kengla, Child of Lewis and Susan Poore Kengla)

Butcher, Centre Market

Married Giorgianna (Nannie) Varnell

 Suit for Divorce Filed. Giorgianna Kengla Asks Sequestration of Husband’s Property. (Washington Herald, October 25, 1907, p.2)

 

 

 

 

Dr. Louis Adam Kengla (1861-1904)

Son of Jacob H. Kengla.

Circa 1882 he lived on his father’s farm near what is now American University.

Kengla was an “antiquarian”, and scouted sites all over Potomac Valley, off Foxhall Road, on Carbery farm, at his father’s farm, and at Joseph Weaver’s farm on Conduit Road. His sites were checked into by W.H. Holmes, who praised his work.  He undertook early studies and speculation on knives, points and soapstones in the Potomac Valley. (Contributions to the Archaeology of the District of Columbia. An Essay to Accompany a Collection of Aboriginal Relics, Presented for the Toner Medal, 1882, By Louis A. Kengla, Student of Georgetown University, D.C., Washington: R.A. Waters & Son, Printers, 1883; W.H. Holmes, 15th Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology)

 

Dr. Kengla donated his collection of archaeological artifacts to the Smithsonian Institution; they are now part of the National Museum of Natural History.

 

Lewis A. Kengla moved to Kansas City, and then to San Francisco.

 

Louis A. Kengla, M. D., whose office is at No. 1303 Polk Street, San Francisco, has been a resident of California since 1889, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine since 1886.  He was born in the District of Columbia, February 17, 1861, and received his education under private tutors, later entering the University of Georgetown, where he graduated in 1883, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts.  In that year he commenced the study of medicine, entering the medical department of the same university, and graduating in 1886, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine.  He came to Kansas City, Missouri, where he engaged in the practice of his profession until 1888, which year he came to the Pacific coast, settling in San Francisco, in 1889.

Dr. Kengla is of German descent, his ancestors having settled in the United States about the beginning of the present century, coming from Luxemburg at that time. His father, Jacob A. Kengla, was for many years well known in the commission Business in the District of Columbia, where he still resides.  Dr. Kengla gave some attention while at college to archeological studies.  One essay written by him, for which the “Toner Medal” was awarded, was published in 1883, and was entitled “Contributions to the Archeology of the District of Columbia.”  He also furnished an article on Stone Mounds in Hampshire County, West Virginia, which was published by the Smithsonian Institute in 1885.”

(“The Bay of San Francisco,” Vol. 1, page 650, Lewis Publishing Co., 1892 [transcribed Karen L. Pratt])

 

Louis A. Kengla, M.D. University of Georgetown, Washington, D. C, 1886, a member of the American Medical Association and editor of the Occidental Medical Times, died at his home in San Francisco, March 26, 1904.

(Obituaries: San Francisco Call, March 28, 1904; Washington Times, March 30, 1904, p.12)

 

“The Sacramento Bee, in an editorial comment on his death, pays the following tribute: The fearless and broad-minded course he pursued with regard to bubonic plague in San Francisco commended him to the esteem of the profession and the gratitude of the public. From the first he stood for the policy of telling the truth, and denounced the miserable attempts at concealment and falsification which for a time threatened to result in a general eastern quarantine against his state. In adhering to this sound and honest course he suffered in business and was exposed to much annoyance, but he never faltered in his uncompromising, unflinching devotion to right and duty. He had the satisfaction of living to see vindication of the truth and official recognition by the state health authorities o£ the existence of the disease whose presence has so long been falsely and foolishly denied by the press of the city.”

(Journal of the American Medical Association, XLII: 15:968, August, 1953)

 

 

Thomas Guida Kengla (1875-1941)

A son of Charles Robert Kengla

Born December 19, 1875

Married Mary Schneider

 

Thomas Guida Kengla recalled: “I lived on the farm just opposite St. Alban’s Church in the house in which I was born. The house in which my father was born was next door. The hill down which Cathedral Avenue runs today was wooded and dangerous, the wild dogs were so bad.” (Washington Post, November 16, 1939, p.19)

In 1941, when Thomas Guida Kengla died, he lived at 3628 Davis Place NW. He was the last Kengla to live in the neighborhood settled by Lewis Kengla in 1810.   (“Thomas G. Kengla To Be Buried At Mount Olivet”, Washington Post, February 24, 1941, p.5.)

 

___________________________________________________________

 Carlton Fletcher

 The citation and acknowledgement of my research is greatly appreciated.

All rights reserved.

 

 Questions and corrections may be directed to

carlton@gloverparkhistory.com

 

The support of the Advisory Neighborhood Council (3B) is gratefully acknowledged.