Aerial Photography

The residential development of Glover Park, as documented in aerial photos.

 

nw gp

Northwestern Glover Park, before residential development. At upper right, the horseshoe-shaped Mt. Alto Veterans Hospital.  Below that, on the other side of Tunlaw Road, farmhouses, pastures and woodlots. (Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map of Washington, D.C., Aerial Photo Section No. 3, Bolling Field – Wash. D.C., U.S. Army Air Service, Sept. 13, 1922 [Library of Congress])

 

 

easternGP1922

Southern Glover Park and western Burleith, before residential development. The most prominent feature, near the top, is the Industrial Home School. Below it, nearer the center, is Hall Place. The long diagonal from 11 to 4 o’clock is 37th Street. (Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map, 1922)

 

 

The occasional “doubling” of features––such as 37th Street, at bottom center––in this composite photograph shows where two aerial photos were cut to meet. (Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map, 1922)

 

 

West of Tunlaw Road. (Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map, 1922)

 

 

Schneider’s Lane, and the Schneider-Dulin houses, can be seen just south of Mount Alto Hospital. 2400 Tunlaw Road, and the earliest houses on 37th Street, are at center bottom.(Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map, 1922)

 

 

Hall Place, Holy Rood Cemetery, and Mount Tabor Church. (Aerial Photographic Mosaic Map, 1922)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue, Hall Place, Tunlaw Road, and the first houses on Benton Street, in 1926. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

In the foreground, the Industrial Home School; at upper right, Mount Alto Veterans Hospital. (Naval Observatory Archive, 1926)

 

1927

Burleith and Glover Park, March 15, 1927.  In the foreground, the intersection of 37th Street and Reservoir Road, with the House of the Good Shepherd to the right. The dark group of trees at right is Holy Rood Cemetery. (Burleith Archives, Gelman Library, George Washington University)

 

Wisconsin Avenue and 37th Street, circa 1929; to the right, Holy Rood Cemetery. New construction, indicated by the uniformity of front walks and driveways, can be seen on 37th Street, Benton Street, and Tunlaw Road. At top, west of Tunlaw Road, open ground.  The diagonal at the upper right marks the old border of Georgetown, and the new location of Huidekoper Place.  (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue and 37th Street, circa 1929, detail.  (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue at W Place, circa 1930. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue at W Place, circa 1932-3; at upper right, one of the last slaughterhouses of the neighborhood. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

East of Wisconsin Avenue, 1938; the Naval Observatory, the British Embassy, and “Clifton”. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

2300 block of Wisconsin Avenue, 1950; at right, the Calvert Center under construction. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue, above Hall Place, 1950; in foreground, the Calvert Theater. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue, above W Place, 1950; in upper right, the Park & Shop Center. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue, below W Place, 1950. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Northern Glover Park, 1965. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Central Glover Park, 1965. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue at Hall Place, 1965; note Calvert Theater, at far right. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Southeastern Glover Park, 1965. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

Wisconsin Avenue at W Place, 1965. (Naval Observatory Archive)

 

 

___________________________________________________________

Carlton Fletcher

 The citation and acknowledgement of my research is greatly appreciated.

All rights reserved.

 

 Questions and corrections may be directed to

carlton@gloverparkhistory.com

 

The support of the Advisory Neighborhood Council (3B) is gratefully acknowledged.