Grace Cochran describes Glover Park in 1928: “On the northwest corner of 37th Street and Schneider’s Lane, where the Carillon House now stands, was a red brick duplex house – Schneider and Jones – and above that another house, and then Mt. Alto Hospital. When we first moved here, many of us enjoyed the band concerts on the hospital grounds in the lovely summer evenings. On the back of the lot near Tunlaw Road was a frame building which was known as Schneider’s Slaughter House.” (Let’s Look Back: A Brief History of Glover Park, by Grace Powell Cochran, with help from Ludger Charest, Dorothy Wimbush, and Evelyn Spencer Money; Martin Luther King Library, no date.)
Brothers John C. Schneider, Jr. (1846-1896) and Louis Schneider (1850-1932) were business partners, and members of the syndicate of master butchers that owned most of the land on the northern outskirts of Georgetown in the century before their slaughterhouses and pens gave way to residential development.
James C. Dulin, who married Mary S. Schneider in 1889, became president of Phillip T. Hall Inc., Men’s Furnishings, at 908 F Street, which was founded by the developer of Hall Place.
(Let’s Look Back: A Brief History of Glover Park, by Grace Powell Cochran, with help from Ludger Charest, Dorothy Wimbush, and Evelyn Spencer Money; Martin Luther King Library, no date.)
The photograph, taken circa 1900, shows John Schneider’s wife, Mary Gallagher Schneider; her brother, Francis X. Gallagher; and Ozella Ellis Schneider, wife of Louis Schneider. Beyond the whitewashed trees and fences of the Schneider family’s front yard lies the intersection of 32nd Street (Wisconsin Avenue) and Schneider’s Lane, which ran a little south of what is now Calvert Street.
The back of the photograph lists Uncle Frank Gallagher, Sophie Dulin, Mary M. Schneider, Margaret Schneider, Annie Schneider, James E. Eckloff, Ethel Dulin, Madalyn Schneider, and Aunt Katie.
The citation and acknowledgement of my research is greatly appreciated.
All rights reserved.
Questions and corrections may be directed to
The support of the Advisory Neighborhood Council (3B) is gratefully acknowledged.